Your Settlers Neighborhood
Settlers Park Retirement Village is very much about community and providing everyone with the opportunity to get involved and make the most of the Village lifestyle.
The Doug Bailes Library
With over 6 800 books and over 1 000 DVDs, the computerised Doug Bailes Library caters for everyone with a wide selection of genres and formats, including large print and audio books. A variety of puzzles is also available.
The library is open from 10:00 – 12:00 on Mondays and Fridays and 15:00 – 16:30 on Wednesdays. We also now offer WIFI.
The library accepts book donations and any duplicate books are donated to the local SPCA, helping our furry friends in need.
Don Powis Community Hall
The Don Powis Community Hall provides a well-equipped and flexible space that is used for meetings, entertainment, social and physical activities as well as once-off events. It is an essential part of the vibrant Village lifestyle with its very busy events calendar.
It offers excellent AV facilities that include a ceiling-mounted projector, large screen and sound system and WIFI. A stage and podium are also available.
The attached kitchen is also well-equipped to handle catering for any event.
Clubs and social events
The Village community is an active one and the Don Powis Community Hall is home to many of its clubs.
- Monthly events include meetings for U3A, the Lower Albany Historical Society, the Floral Art Group, the Port Alfred Art Club and the Sunshine Coast Women’s Forum. The hall also hosts the monthly Hospice Nearly New Shop.
- Daily and weekly activities also take place in the hall and include Aerobics, Tai Chi, Scottish Dancing, Painting Circle, Mahjong, Table Tennis, Shortmat Bowls, Sparkles Choir, and interdenominational church services.
- Glen’s Den also provides an informal venue for social gatherings and club meetings such as Bingo and the 100 Club.
- Every month a residents’ meeting is held to keep everyone up to date with Park news. A monthly newsletter, Silver Threads, captures the content of the meeting, provides the monthly menu and much more so that residents are kept informed at all time.
- And when other communication is necessary it is via a short punchy S-Parks! A great addition during the Covid-19 lockdown regulations is the immensely popular ‘S-PARKling! Boredom Busters’ delivered to cottages every Friday.